History of The Caves store

Image: CCHS files.

The story of The Caves Country Store began in 1919 when Gus Buch purchased a block of land adjacent to the recently constructed North Coast Line.

Gus constructed a garden-shed sized building which was replaced by the building pictured in the 1920s.

While it remained in the family it was always known as Buch’s Store. Brothers Allan and Len left the store to Jill, Len’s wife, who was the last of the Buch owners.

This photo was taken in 2001 while Peter and Lexi Knox were the owners. Lexi was responsible for the nursery which was constructed after the demolition of an old bakery.