Queensland Maroons have to wait for Munster news

Cameron Munster being checked out by the physio after copping a rough tackle on Sunday night. Photo: AAP.

By Liam Emerton

It was a dismal night for the Queensland Maroons on Sunday but it became even worse soon after when news circled about an injury to the main man of the state’s attack.

After the contest on Sunday it was revealed that Rockhampton’s own Cameron Munster left Optus Stadium in a sling.

It’s suspected that the injury could be an AC joint and could possibly include GH joint (ball and socket shoulder joint damage according to the highly-regarded NRL Physio Magic Sponge podcast.

An AC joint injury could write off Munster from two to four weeks but, similar to Payne Haas, it could be the pain threshold that the Maroons’ six will need to overcome.

The potential injury occurred due to a shot from Blues’ centre Stephen Crichton which saw shoulder to shoulder contact.

After the match Munster confirmed the injury which he said affected his second half performance.

“I was a bit of a passenger out there (after the injury),” Munster said.

“My body’s not holding up as good as I’d like it to be, but fingers crossed I can get myself right.

“I’ll get a scan and we’ll go from there.”

In more bad news for Queensland fans Kalyn Ponga left the match early due to a HIA which is likely to be deemed a category one knock.

After suffering two concussions in three weeks Ponga will have to sit out the next Newcastle Knights match and have a specialist review if the injury is confirmed.

And for those Maroons fans who follow the Broncos, it’s been a tragic week as the NSW Blues front rower Payne Haas left the ground in a moonboot.

It is unconfirmed at this stage whether it is anything more serious than a cork, with that being the best news possible for the young Brisbane star.

Away from the injuries, the NSW Blues took a massive momentum boost heading into game three when they defeated the Maroons 44-12.

The blowout victory was do-or-die for the Blues who took full advantage of a tired Queensland squad in the second half.

Scoring 30 unanswered second half points, the Blues ran away with the great victory.

But now the side from down south face the tallest task, beating the Queenslanders at Suncorp Stadium.

Not since 2005 have the NSW Blues come into a decider at Suncorp and walked away with the shield.

That drought will have to be far from the Cockroaches’ minds if they have any chance of beating the Maroons at their home ground.

After a journalist asked Queensland captain Daley Cherry-Evans if he thought the result was an ‘embarrassment’ the Maroons halfback said it was a tough loss but he believed in his squad.

“Gees, they’re big words … and there’s a lot of headlines that media like to put on certain performances,” Cherry-Evans said.

“But looking at my teammates, there’s not one person that didn’t try their hardest out there tonight.

“It probably looked like we lost a fair bit of concentration there for 30 minutes, but I can’t question the effort we put out there.”

The State of Origin decider will take place in Brisbane on Wednesday 13 July.